Monday, March 17, 2014

Chocolate Chip Anything Cookies


Chocolate Chip Anything Cookies

I found this recipe in a magazine last year, though I can't for the life of me, remember which magazine. I've changed this recipe to find the best sweet balance of the ingredients. After making these cookies over a hundred times, it has easily become my go-to recipe for cookies as it is versatile in what you can add.

The basics of this recipe are:
  • 1 c. butter
  • 2/3 c. brown sugar
  • 2/3 c. sugar
  • 1 egg (or 1 tbsp of whole flax seeds, ground with 3 tbsp of water)
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (roughly) or about 1/4 vanilla bean
  • 2 c. flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/3 tsp salt (optional- I usually leave this out or add a pinch)
  • any mix ins!
  1. In mixer, cream butter and sugars
  2. Add egg, mix
  3. Add vanilla, mix
  4. In a separate bowl, using a sifter, sift the flour, baking soda and salt together. If you don't have a sifter, use a whisk to add air to the mixture.
  5. add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, slowly. Ahh, slowly is the key word. The first time I did this, I accidentally turned my mixer up too high, and lets just say that my black kitchen looked like it had snowed indoors!!
  6. Now is the fun part. Add whatever mix-ins you'd like. Here are some of the combinations that i've tried:
      • honey (approx. 1 tsp.) & chocolate chips
      • dried cranberries & almond slivers
      • almonds diced & walnuts crushed
      • white chocolate chips & toffee (my favourite!!)
      • chocolate chips & honey & flax seeds (to add more fibre- these are the cookies in the pictures)
      • coconut and dark chocolate shavings
      • m&ms
** Now something to note with these cookies, is that they are VERY sweet. I love sweet things, but dear hubby says that sometimes I can make these too sweet that his teeth cringe. An easy fix to tone down the sweetness- is to cut the sugars in half and add more flour- This will make the mixture a little dryer though. Your choice!



No comments:

Post a Comment